Spring/Summer 2018

David Raymond “Ray” Douglass, Jr. WG48, 94, of Bradenton, Florida, died on January 10, 2018. Ray was born June 1, 1923, in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, and came to Bradenton, Florida, from Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania, in 1983. He retired as a district manager from Bell Atlantic Telephone Company in 1983 after 37 years of service. He was an Army Air Corps veteran of World War II. He served as an elder and past trustee of several Presbyterian churches in Pennsylvania and Bradenton. He was active as a member and president of two condominium associations in Wild Oak Bay, Bradenton. He was also a member and past director of the El Conquistador Country Club (now IMG Golf and Country Club). During his lifetime, he was a generous contributor to his colleges, his church, and many local charities. He was a graduate of Washington and Jefferson College and the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School, MBA, in 1948. He was preceded in death by his wife of 47 years, Rita Wiemann Douglass. They had one son, David Charles Douglass. Following Rita’s death, Ray met and married Beverly Ann Douglass. Beverly Ann was his devoted wife for the next 23 years until her death in May 2017. He is survived by his son David (Lenora) Douglass of Orlando, Florida; his granddaughter, Lauren, of Orlando, Florida, and his brother James (Nancy), of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society or a charity of choice.


Donald P. Carter WG50, of Lake Forest, Illinois, died on December 27, 2015, at Lake Forest Hospital. He was born July 30, 1927, in the small town of Richmond, Missouri, to Lillian and Rex Carter. Following his discharge from the U.S. Navy in 1947, he graduated from the University of Missouri with a BS in business and received his MBA from the Wharton Business School at the University of Pennsylvania. After his graduation, he married Susan Wurst, and they had three children: Jeffrey, Stephen, and Carol. After Susan’s death in 1980, he married Carol Holzrichter (died 2013) and became stepfather to David, Steve, Jon (died 2014), and Elizabeth. Don began his career working for Henry Wurst, Inc., at its Continental Color Press location but soon started his own direct-marketing business as a prelude to a highly successful 30- year career in advertising, first as president, at age 36, of the Biddle Company in Bloomington, Illinois; then as president of Post-Keyes-Gardner, the second largest agency headquartered in Chicago, in 1968; and finally as president, then CEO of the Chicago and West Coast offices of Cunningham & Walsh. Several long-term clients were Lennox, Chicago Buick Dealers, FTD Florists, Maybelline Cosmetics, Brown & Williamson Tobacco, McGregor Golf, Folgers Coffee, and the Yellow Pages, among other well-known brands. Don also served as a trustee on various mutual fund boards, including Thomson McKinnon and PIMCO, and retired in 2005, after 23 consecutive years, as the longest-serving trustee for Allianz Global Investors Funds. Don was passionate about the game of golf and played more than 600 different courses across nine different countries, and enjoyed 25 consecutive years as a spectator at the Masters Golf Tournament in Augusta, Georgia. Don was invited to numerous pro-am golf tournaments and played with Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Tom Weiskopf, Bob Hope, Yogi Berra, and Willie Mays, among others. He was a long-term member of both Knollwood Country Club (46 years) and Bob O’Link Golf Club (41 years,) where he served as president in 1995 and 1996. Over his golfing career, he witnessed 14 holes-in-one and scored one himself. Don is survived by a brother, Harold, and will be remembered as the much-loved husband of Susan and Carol, and as a generous, kind, and supportive father and stepfather to his six surviving children, 14 grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren. He was thoughtful and of high integrity and valued honesty uppermost in his business and personal relationships. Sincere, humble, and loving, he truly considered himself the luckiest man in the world.


Ken Cardoza W52

Kenyon (Ken) Cardoza W52 was born in West Haven, Connecticut, where he was cared for by his grandparents, Cora and Ernest Schuster, while his mother, Florence [Schuster] was employed as executive secretary to the president of a nearby school for girls during the time her husband, Ken’s father, Thomas, was attending Yale University. Dad became a physician and Grandpa Schuster died, whereupon the little family, including Grandmother ‘Co,’ moved to a lovely home/office on Staten Island, N. Y. where Ken led an idyllic boyhood, his happiness amplified by the arrival of a baby brother Tommy whom he adored, who was his best friend for life. He attended Curtis High School and upon graduation was accepted into The Wharton School/University of Pennsylvania. His father had insisted he go into business rather than medicine and Ken graduated from Wharton in 1952, in spite of having come to the conclusion that business was not for him. It was at this point he met the eighteen year old girl he was to marry on the following July 18, 1953, just one year to the day after they met. Ken was 21 and learning to fly as part of the Air Force Cadet Program; Penelope Roese was just 19with a budding career as a model when she took her very first plane trip to join him in a small town in Missouri. She arrived carrying a hatbox filled with little white gloves, high heels, her favorite stuffed animal and a selection of vinyls, along with a portable phonograph on which to play them. She had known nothing but N.Y.C. and S. I.; here she was met with dirt roads instead of sidewalks, and surrounded by mostly unintelligible but eventually heart-warming accents and attitudes. They were married by the first minister who happened to open the door to his tiny [but well-decorated from the day-before-wedding] church with three witnesses who’d been pulled from the Cracker Barrel outside the church. When friends and relations discovered the elopement, they said it would never last. While in the Air Force, he discovered he didn’t fancy flying, especially when it involved the shooting of a fellow human-being; a boy of his own tender age, Korean or not. When the Air Force heard he was married, they asked, “Who comes first, the Air Force or your wife?” He gave the only right answer and after the required minimum of two years and having had good counsel from an Air Force dentist, found his way back to New York University, where he spent two years in pre-med courses before entering NYU School of Dentistry, graduating in 1960, sustained by the G.I. Bill of Rights and his wife’s burgeoning career as a model.

Penny’s mother gave them a beautiful convertible and they drove across country with all their worldly possessions in the back seat, landing in San Francisco where Ken had accepted a Residency with the V. A. Hospital. Fate stepped in, when a new acquaintance invited them to a party at a stranger’s apartment where Ken shortly found himself trying to prevent a young lady from being strangled by her drunken boyfriend who was holding her by her throat against a wall. The man turned his attention to Ken, pushing him away. There was ice spilled on the floor and Ken slipped, his leg going out from under him at a very odd angle. An ambulance was called, along with the police, the guests tried to hold the culprit but he had left in the ensuing pandemonium. Ken was now a patient at the V. A. Hospital rather than an Intern. It was a spiral fracture, very bad; along the way he almost died of an embolism, he was in a long leg cast for over a year. He was recovering and finally able to leave the hospital when Penny’s sister, whose husband was with NBC in New York, came to see them, bringing with her three tickets enabling them to go to Honolulu, Hawaii on NBC’s dime. While in Hawaii, Ken looked up his NYU classmate, Ed Neuwirth, who told him about a new program he’d had a hand in creating at The Queen’s Hospital. Ed introduced Ken to the wonderful Will Henderson, who hired Ken on the spot to join Ed as a dental resident. Ken and Penny went back to California to once again pack everything into their car and move to Hawaii, taking up residence at The Islander Hotel in 1961. In those days, one had to have lived in the islands for one year before being eligible to take the exam for a dental license. He waited; finally setting up his own office in the Alexander Young Hotel, and after that fine building had been torn down, the Dillingham Transportation Building. He had been led to and finally found his life’s work in a profession he truly loved. No, to the many who assumed he was, Ken wasn’t from Cuba. During his time at Wharton, he was greatly influenced by Dr. Rafael Suarez, his Spanish Language Professor, who chose Ken and three other top students for a summer educational trip to Cuba. At that time, Carlos Prio Socarras was in power. Still in his teens, Ken learned to love the island and its people. He also developed a strong social conscience. [Ed. note: Ken wrote about his Wharton experience and his time in Cuba for Wharton Magazine in 2015. Read his article here.]

Though the boys, through their professor, became privileged guests of the private clubs and the very best society had to offer, they also got to see the seamy side of Havana…and the heart-searing contrast was not lost on at least one of them. Ken went back to the University of Havana on his own the next summer; this time Batista was in power. He was warned by his friends to stay away from certain groups of young men who would congregate in the hallways. “They are trouble-makers, socialists”, his mentors warned him and yes, he saw a man shot on the steps of the Capitolio during that particular visit. Something was afoot. What had started out as a lark, a chance to visit a beautiful tropical location, to better one’s language skills, now had Ken immersed in the serious study of Cuban history. And he continued to go back, learning more each time until he had seen and understood the reigns of three “dictators” throughout the 40’s and 50’s and better understood the influence of the United States in all of this. When Fidel Castro came down from the mountains with a small band of men [including Che Guevara] and ousted Batista, Ken felt it was time to return to Cuba, this time with his wife, to study the Revolucion. They were there for Christmas ’59 and the New Year 1960. In the years to come, he and his family made many happy visits, always coming away with favorable impressions of the hospitality, the nature of the people and above all, the wonderful music, a constant, everywhere.

About twenty-five years ago, Ken’s doctor told him he should take his wife on a world-cruise, as not only did he have Prostate Cancer, but it had spread to his bones. He had about a year to live, quality time, and probably a year and a half to two years of any kind of time. Following Dr. Nathan Lane’s work with shark cartilage, Ken was also in touch with similar research being done in Cuba. When his next tests came back clean, no sign of bone involvement, his doctors called it an ‘Anomaly’ while we, his family, accepted it as a miracle. We thought we would be granted a second miracle, but this time it was lung cancer and he was 86; it was not to be. Just in time, his brother, Tom Cardoza, came and took care of us for five uplifting weeks. After he left, Ken spiraled down; he had no appetite and grew increasingly weak until he was unable to get out of bed. After a perilous surgery over three years ago, then the usual round of radiation, et cetera, he refused all medication, saying he was in no pain whatsoever. Clear minded to the end, Ken died of lung cancer at home on July 3, 2017 with his wife, Penelope, and daughter, Donnez Cardoza-Hunter as his caregivers. He was the most courageous man we have ever met, that and the memory of his wonderful sense of humor enable us to carry on as he would have wished. Until we meet again, Ken! Survivors include: Penelope, his wife of 64 years, his daughter, Donnez, a son, Kenneth Geering of New Jersey, his brother, Tom [Patricia] Cardoza of South Carolina, a nephew, Mark Surles [Stacey and three children] of Alabama, his Granddaughter, Devan “Addie” [Bradly] Wilkinson of Yosemite, and three great-grandchildren, Braydon, Coco [named for Ken’s beloved grandmother, Cora Schuster], and Delilah Everly Wilkinson, born on November 21st, 2017.

Private family services were held on July 8th. We thank all of you who came from the mainland to help us during these last days, and those who were unable to be here but sent loving words, thoughts, such as David Shedivy: “He led a charmed life, and charmed us while he was doing it.” Also Sharon, Michael & Sophie Gralapp, John Leahy, Honolulu Dental Society, and so many others to whom I owe notes. The family would appreciate any donations, no matter how small [they add up, you know] in Ken’s memory to be made to: Aloha Medical Mission, Hawaiian Humane Society, Public Radio, Public Television or a favorite charity of your own.


Kahandas Nandola WG62 GR70 passed away on September 4, 2017 in Libertyville, Illinois, due to complications from a recent stroke.  He was 82 years old.

Dr. Kahandas Nandola WG62 GR70

Dr. Nandola was born on January 17, 1935 in Tirupur (Tamil Nadu), India.  He had two brothers and two sisters.  He graduated college from the University of Madras with a Bachelors Degree in Commerce with Honors.  He came over to study in the US with little money and graduated with an MBA degree from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania in December of 1962.  He decided to go further and wrote his PhD dissertation on the economics of supermarkets while he worked at the Marketing Science Institute in Philadelphia and later at St. Joseph’s University.  He graduated with a PhD from the Wharton School of Business in May of 1970 and took a marketing professorship position at Ohio University in 1971.  He founded the Executive MBA program at Ohio University and had the opportunity to graduate 26 outstanding classes during his tenure as Director of the Executive MBA program.  Students were impressed with his ability to instruct, discuss, and converse in any environment while never losing his gentleman character.  This is consistent with his character and treatment of all people he met throughout his life which echoes his motto for his Executive MBA Program of “Excellence with Elegance”. He retired from Ohio University in 2006.

He married his wife, Puspalata Nandola (deceased in 2015), in 1964 and was a wonderful father for his son and only child, Rabinder Nandola,  born in 1966. He loved tennis and was a very avid swimmer and walker for many years which helped extend his life. He moved to Grayslake, Illinois in 2007 to be closer to his grandchildren, Sarah and Thomas, and was a tremendous grandfather for them.


Stephanie (Tramdack) Cash WG78, of Cape May Court House, New Jersey, beloved wife of Richard Cash, passed away on Thursday, December 14, 2017. She also leaves behind a brother, Philip Tramdack (Marianne Hooker), of New Castle, Pennsylvania, and several nieces and nephews. Stephanie attended school in Collingdale, Pennsylvania, and graduated as valedictorian from the Sanford School in Hockessin, Delaware. In 1972 she received a BA in English from Bryn Mawr College. In 1978, she earned an MBA in finance from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. Stephanie began her professional career as a financial analyst with Delaware Investment Advisers in Philadelphia. She then served as a program manager with the Scherman Foundation and a portfolio manager with Scudder, Stevens & Clark, both in New York. She then moved to Montreal, first as a portfolio manager with Bolton Tremblay, Inc., and then as an institutional portfolio strategist for McNeil, Mantha Inc., and Lévesque, Beaubien, and Geoffrion. In 1986 she attained certification as a chartered financial analyst. After meeting Richard Cash in 1989, she soon relocated to Cape May Court House, where they married. Stephanie left the financial industry and became a teacher of English and French. She taught at Wildwood High School, Port Republic School, and Atlantic Cape Community College, and also conducted evening classes for the Cape May County Technical School District. Since 2004, Stephanie has worked as a freelance French-to-English translator of financial, energy, and maritime documents for international clients. She was involved with several professional groups, including the Delaware Valley Translators Association and the American Translators Association. In recent years, she had been a principal of Dias Creek Oysters, LLC, and served as president of the Cape May Oyster Cooperative. Stephanie was an active member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Saviour in Stone Harbor. She was also a member of the American Association of University Women. Her many sterling qualities were apparent to anyone who knew her—her good-heartedness, her warmth, and her marvelous dynamism and joie de vivre. Her gift for friendship was second to none. Stephanie was a Renaissance woman in her interests. She was a student of ballet, Argentine tango, qigong, opera, and fashion, as well as language, literature, and politics. Stephanie was a rare and wonderful person who lifted the spirits of everyone she touched.


David Bedri WG82

David Bedri WG82, beloved husband, brother, uncle, cousin, and friend, died peacefully at home on January 5 in Madison, Wisconsin, with Shabbat candles burning, soft music playing, and his hands being held by husband Jon Sorenson and cousin Tamar. He courageously fought a rare form of pancreatic cancer for exactly one year. Like the rest of his life, the past year was filled with trips, loved ones, parties, profound experiences, tears, and laughter. David received a BA in liberal arts from the University of California, Berkeley. He was a member of Delta Upsilon fraternity, and like many other Cal students, he was actively involved in protesting the Vietnam War. After graduating, he received a job offer from Phillip Morris and moved to New York City where he became a management trainee. After becoming the youngest manager in Phillip Morris history at the age of 25, David left to obtain a MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. He returned to New York to accept a position at the British real estate consultancy Jones Lang Wooton (now known as Jones LaSalle.) Shortly after he became a partner there, Goldman Sachs & Co. made him an offer he could not refuse. He joined Goldman as a vice president in both the real estate and mortgage securities departments.

By the age of 39, David decided to end his Wall Street career and retired to look after his mother, who had developed Alzheimer’s Disease. After her passing in 1998, David and his partner, Jon Sorenson, immigrated to New Zealand. They became permanent residents while living in Christchurch, where they made many friends and enjoyed the beauty and bounty of New Zealand. After five years of life as a Kiwi, David followed Jon to Madison, Wisconsin, where Jon began his successful career at the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Both Jon and David became actively involved in the Madison community. David audited numerous courses at the University’s departments of history, music, and art history and was an active member of the UW’s Tandem (Fine Arts) Press, where he served as a member of the Wine Auction Benefit Committee. He was also an inaugural member of the Hamel Family Wines Advisory Board in Sonoma, California. In addition to being a wine connoisseur and gourmet cook, David was an avid gardener, a world traveler, and a consummate conversationalist who took ready interest in people and their lives. He was loved by many people, some of whom only met him once but were immediately captivated by his warm charm, sharp intelligence, and bon vivant personality. David is survived by his husband, Jon E. Sorenson; his brother, Jonathan Bedri, and lots of loving cousins and in-laws throughout the world. In lieu of flowers, donations in David’s memory can be made to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, the Judy Fund of the Alzheimer’s Association, Agrace Hospice Foundation, or the Carbone Cancer Center.


Owen Baxter (O.B.) Seaton WAMP97 of Castle Pines, Colorado, a retired Army colonel and a founding officer of United States Investigations Services (USIS), passed away November 17, 2017, at UC Medical in Colorado due to complications following elective knee surgery. O.B. lived a full and bountiful life and was most proud of his family. He always had an optimistic outlook, dreams, and a willingness to work hard to achieve them. He treated people with dignity and fairness. He demonstrated abundant, unconditional love to his spouse, children, and grandchildren. Much of his free time was spent with them in the mountains near Clark, Colorado. He enjoyed traveling, fishing, Rockies baseball, and reading the Wall Street Journal. O.B. spent 28 years in the Army. Trained as an Army Ranger and intelligence officer, O.B. earned the Distinguished Superior Service Medal, the Legion of Merit, three Bronze Stars, the Meritorious Service Medal, and the Purple Heart, along with several foreign medals for military valor and leadership. He was also a graduate of the Naval and Army War Colleges. The security services firm USIS was the first company to be formed through the privatization of a federal government operation. USIS grew to be the largest investigations company in North America. O.B. was born in Sikeston, Missouri, on December 19, 1939. A 1958 graduate of Normandy High School in St. Louis, Missouri, he went on to earn his BS from the University of Nebraska and an MA in management and international relations from George Washington University. He was also a graduate of the Advanced Management Program at the Wharton School of Business of the University of Pennsylvania. In addition to Elisabeth, his wife of 51 years, he is survived by three children: Meredith (Jeff) McKinney, Owen (Kathy) Seaton II, and Andrew (Stephanie). Seaton; a sister; seven grandchildren and a great grandson.

Fall/Winter 2017

John F. “Jake” Fant Jr. W48

John F. Fant, Jr. Esq. W48 died on July 20, 2017, after a short illness. Jake was born on August 1, 1921, in Philadelphia, PA. He graduated from Lower Merion High School where he played basketball on a team that was runner-up in the Pennsylvania state tournament, leading to his being awarded a basketball scholarship to Penn State. After one year at Penn State, World War II broke out, and he joined the U.S. Army Air Corps and went into pilot training. One year later, he flew a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress across the Atlantic to Prestwick, Scotland, and was assigned to the 94th Bomb Group of the U.S. Army 8th Air Force, which was stationed in Bury St. Edmonds, England. From July 1943 to April 1945, he flew 32 missions over Germany and Occupied Europe. After World War II, he entered the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Finance on the GI Bill and graduated in 1948.

He married the former Mary P. McCrea “Mickey” of Shaker Heights and moved to Cleveland to work for the accounting firm Arthur Anderson. He went to night law school at Cleveland John Marshall while working at Arthur Anderson, specializing in tax law, which led to jobs as comptroller of The American Shipbuilding Co. and counsel at Crawford Fitting Co., from which he retired in 1993. Jake and Mickey were avid golfers and bridge players, and lifelong dog lovers. Those who wish may make donations in their names to the Geauga County Humane Society. Jake is survived by his four children, John F. Fant III (Kathleen) of Cleveland Heights, OH, Katherine Mitchell (Martin) of Dallas, TX, Dr. Emily Fant-Martin (Robert) of Las Vegas, NV, and Molly Pierce (Andrew) of Indian Wells, CA; eight grandchildren; his brother, Thomas D. Fant of West Chester, PA; three nephews; and a niece. His wife, Mickey, died in May of 2011.


Dr. C. Jackson “Jack” Grayson, Jr. WG48

Dr. C. Jackson “Jack” Grayson, Jr. WG48, who rose to national prominence when he served as chairman of the U.S. Price Commission under President Richard M. Nixon before later founding the American Productivity & Quality Center (APQC, www.apqc.org), passed away peacefully on Thursday, May 4, 2017, at his home in Houston, Texas. He was 93. With a zeal for life and quest for adventure, “Mr. Charisma” always kept his family and colleagues on their toes. He started setting the bar high in high school when he danced with Vivien Leigh at the gala premiere of Gone with the Wind in Atlanta while a student at Georgia Military Academy. Keen on exploring the world and all its wonder, Grayson completed his seven-continent quest in 2003 at age 80, with an Antarctica trip, and celebrated his birthday with skydives at age 75 and 90.

Grayson spent his entire professional career applying quality thinking and methods to help improve organizations and society. Beyond APQC, he was lauded for his work as a creator of the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award; chairman of U.S. Price Commission; co-founder of the Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa; and dean for business schools at both Tulane and Southern Methodist University. Though the price controls instituted in the early 1970s were widely unpopular, Grayson earned national recognition from the press, business leaders, and labor for his transparent and fair administration and later for his work to remove the controls. During this period Grayson came to understand that productivity growth in America was falling and sounded the alarm about the nation’s sagging productivity, quality, and competitiveness.

In 1977 he made a commitment to halting that decline when he founded APQC, originally known as the American Productivity Center. Based in Houston, the organization offered productivity improvement training courses, established common performance measures, and conducted the first White House Conference on Productivity. At the same time, he sought to create a physical venue to connect mind, body, and spirit and co-founded the Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa in Houston, Texas. “I vowed when I left government, I would do something to wake up the nation to the importance of productivity, but more importantly, to help improve it,” said Grayson in an interview.

In the mid-1980s he recommended the creation of a national quality medal, which subsequently became the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award. APQC and the American Society for Quality (ASQ) jointly administered the award in its first three years. In 1991 he and staff at APQC launched the International Benchmarking Clearinghouse to help organizations identify and learn from best practices and in 1993, the Process Classification Framework® (PCF), a business taxonomy now regarded as the most widely-used worldwide for process improvement. Later he and his team helped launch and usher in the concept of knowledge management in the mid-90s. “Few, if any, individual Americans have done more during the last 20 years to shape the country’s economic future for the better,” stated BusinessWeek of Grayson in 1990.

In 1997, at the age of 74, Grayson launched and dedicated the rest of his career to the APQC Education Initiative to help schools benchmark and adopt best practices. Grayson believed that the same productivity tools, quality principles, and process management approaches that applied to the business world could be transferred to the academic arena, specifically the K-12 education system in the United States. He retired from APQC in September 2015, just shy of his 92nd birthday.

He earned his bachelor’s degree from Tulane University, an MBA from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania, and a doctorate in business administration from Harvard Business School as well as a CPA certification. His academic career included professorships at Harvard, INSEAD, Stanford, Tulane, and Southern Methodist University (SMU), as well as business schools in France and Switzerland. He also served as dean for the business schools at both Tulane and SMU.

During World War II, he served four years in the U.S. Navy and fought in the South Pacific. In addition to his academic and public work, his career included being a newspaper reporter in New Orleans, special agent for the FBI, manager of a cotton farm in North Louisiana, and a member of an import-export firm. A lifelong proponent of constant learning, experimentation, and having fun, he was a single-engine airplane pilot, a race horse owner, and world traveler, setting foot on all seven continents. He authored many magazine and newspaper articles as well as four business books, including American Business: A Two-Minute Warning about the productivity slide against global competitors and If Only We Knew What We Know, co-authored with his wife, Dr. Carla O’Dell, about knowledge management and the internal transfer of best practices.

Grayson was a CPA and a retired board member for eight major U.S. corporations. In addition to his work with President Nixon, he served on two additional presidential commissions for President Jimmy Carter’s Commission for a National Agenda and President Ronald Reagan’s National Productivity Advisory Committee.

In 1973 he was honored as Wharton’s Man of the Year by the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. In 2000 English research firm Teleos named him one of the 10 “Most Admired Knowledge Leaders” in North America. In 2003 the American Society for Quality (ASQ) named him as one of nine Distinguished Service Medalists. In 2006 the Cox School of Business at SMU created the C. Jackson Grayson Endowed Faculty Innovation Award for excellence and creativity in teaching and an endowed MBA scholarship in entrepreneurial studies, gifted by Bobby Lyle. In 2008 APQC and ASQ established the C. Jackson Grayson Distinguished Quality Pioneer Medal to honor individuals who have demonstrated leadership in quality areas in education, health care, public sector, and not-for-profit organizations. In 2016 he was inducted into the Hall of Fame by the Association for Manufacturing Excellence (AME).

According to Grayson, of the honors bestowed on him over the years, he was most moved by APQC-driven tributes. In 2015 APQC launched Founder’s Day, an annual celebration to honor Jack Grayson and the work of APQC. During the inaugural event, APQC renamed its amphitheater to be Grayson Hall-“dedicated to all those who come to APQC to learn, adapt, and improve their organizations and named in honor of our Founder Jack Grayson, who inspires and challenges every individual to reinvent their future every day.” In 2016 APQC introduced the Grayson Guarantee™, a defining guide for APQC and its team on how to live, work, and act with Grayson’s values at the forefront of every decision.

For Grayson the benefits of productivity growth extend beyond business strategy and enhancements to the bottom line. “If you look at highly productive companies, you notice that people are happier,” he said. “They are more empowered and responsible and take pride in their work. This adds to the productivity and the well being of the people in the organization.” What worked for the individual also worked for the company and country, he believed. “Any life that is not productive is wasted. If you are not striving to continuously learn and grow, you are not leading a productive life. This is true for an individual, and it is true for a country.”

A biography of his life, Freedom to Dream, Courage to Act: The First Nine Decades of C. Jackson Grayson, was released in 2014 to celebrate his 91st birthday.

Grayson was born on October 8, 1923 in Fort Necessity, Louisiana. Grayson is survived by his wife Dr. Carla O’Dell, and his children, Christopher Jackson Grayson and wife Kelly; Michael Wiley Grayson and wife Siew Leng Toh; Randall Charles Grayson and wife Kerry O’Regan; and four grandchildren, Mckenna Nicole Grayson, Andrew Jackson Grayson, Clove Regan Grayson, and Annika Regan Grayson. He was preceded in death by his parents, Charles Jackson Grayson, Sr. and Daphne de Graffenreid Grayson; and his son, Daniel Jackson Grayson.


Kenneth Baumler W52, 86, of Stuart, FL died on March 22, 2017. Born on October 9, 1930, he was a son of George and Katherine Baumler of Glen Ridge, NJ. He graduated from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania in 1952 with a BS in Economics and was a member of Beta Theta Pi. He was the Director of Human Resources at Congoleum Nairn. He was an avid golfer, tennis player and loved the NY Yankees.

He married Barbara Wheeler in 1954 and shared 60 years raising four children in NJ and retired to Stuart, FL. He was preceded in death by his wife and brother Robert. Kenneth is survived by his four children, 9 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild.


Matthew Stephens W52 WG58 GR64, Associate Professor Emeritus of Accounting, a longtime Wharton faculty member, passed away on July 14 at the age of 86. Dr. Stephens enjoyed more than a 50-year tenure with The Wharton School, beginning with his time as an undergraduate student in the economics department. After earning his bachelor’s degree in 1952, he served as a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army Air Forces during the Korean War, stationed in Munich and Paris. He returned from the war and joined Arthur Andersen & Co. as a senior accountant.

Dr. Stephens completed his MBA from Wharton in 1958 and his PhD in finance in 1964. He taught accounting and finance at his alma mater for 45 years, until his retirement in 2001. During his tenure at Penn, Dr. Stephens also served as a regular lecturer for Wharton Executive Education and as vice dean and director of the Wharton Undergraduate Division from 1972 to 1985. He received numerous awards during his career, including the Lindback Foundation Award for Distinguished Teaching, the Outstanding Professor Award from Wharton’s Evening School, and the Distinguished Service Award from Wharton. He also served on the Board of Directors at Inroads of Philadelphia and the Work Wear Corporation.

He is survived his wife of 58 years, Beryl, their two children, Matthew and Kathleen, three grandchildren, and two great-granddaughters.


Richard M. Brown W53 passed away on June 23, 2017 in his home in Phoenix AZ while in the company of his wife and 5 children. Born July 14, 1931 in Orange, NJ. Raised in Greenwich, CT by parents William and Dorothy Roe Brown. Graduated in 1953 from The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania with a B.S. in Economics. Proud member of Sigma Nu Fraternity, Beta Rho. Life long employee of Canada Dry in New York and Toronto as executive in Marketing Department. Survived by his wife Katie of Phoenix; his daughters Deborah, Susan and Margit of Canada; his sons Rick of Phoenix and David of Tucson; six grandchildren, Josh, Abbie and Sydney Brown, Jake and Sam Norris, and Willis Lombard; brother Bryce Brown of FL; and sister Ginger Winston of CT. Pre deceased by brother Stuart of NC.


Benjamin S. Cutler WG64

Benjamin Sheffield Cutler WG64 died May 2nd after a brief battle with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), and ultimately acute myeloid leukemia (AML). Born in New Rochelle, NY, Ben (Sheff) grew up in Athens, Ohio, where he loved to hike, seek out rattle snakes, and especially watch storms – the more violent the better – from the roof of the house! After 3 years of high school he entered Oberlin College at age 16, where he pursued his great love of composing classical music. He further pursued this passion by obtaining a master’s degree in fine arts from Brandeis. During this time, he met Ernestine Botti, the love of his life, while she was living in Boston and working at MGH. He served in the US Army where based on his 20/10 vision he was trained as a sharpshooter. Though he never fought in battle he remained in the Army Reserves for several years.

After marrying Ernestine, he entered the Wharton School, where he earned an MBA. After school, they returned to Ernestine’s family home in Somerville, NJ, where they raised their five children. He was an ever patient and loving father. Ben’s complete devotion to his wife and children was by far the most important aspect of his life. An avid bridge player, he and his wife played bridge in clubs and with friends, taught bridge lessons, and traveled extensively to play in bridge tournaments. Both he and Ernestine welcomed the availability of online bridge, so they could play even more. His passion for classical music, sometimes eclectic, was an anchor for his whole life. An accomplished pianist he loved playing, listening to, and writing music, and attending the symphony in New York. Even on his last day, a glow emanated from his face when he spoke with friends about music.

One of his greatest loves was history, including the genealogy of his own family, which he meticulously researched over many years, contributing his findings to the archives of the Stonington (Connecticut) Historical Society and various libraries. Some of his favorite discoveries centered on the long lineage of ancestors named Benjamin Cutler, many of whom served as sea captains and traveled the world, including to China and one of the first voyages to Antarctica, and that he was a descendent of Mayflower passenger John Alden. An active member of the Immaculate Conception Church community, he served as an Usher for 15 years.

He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Ernestine (Botti) Cutler, his children Benjamin F. Cutler (wife Satomi) of Seattle, WA, Christopher E. Cutler of New York, NY, Lucy Cutler Cook (husband Steven) of Medford Lakes, NJ, and Mary Cutler Drummond (husband Hugh) of Winchester, MA. He was a playful and loving grandfather to Holly, Grace, John, and Benjamin Stern; Elise, Brendan, and Clara Drummond; and Ariana Cutler. He is also survived by his sister, Nancy Hamer of Oakdale, CA, as well as numerous cousins, nieces, and nephews.


Sir Paul R. Judge WG73 died peacefully after a short illness in London on 21 May 2017, age 68. Sir Paul joined Cadbury Schweppes after graduation in 1973 and by 1984 was a member of the Cadbury Schweppes Group Executive Committee. In 1985 he led a £97 million buyout of the Cadbury Schweppes food division and sold it in 1989 for £310 million. He went on to serve on numerous boards (WPP, Schroder Income Growth, Barclays Wealth, Standard Bank), led a number of Associations (Chairman of Royal Society of Arts, President of Chartered Management Institute, President of Chartered Institute of Marketing, Deputy Chairman of American Management Association) and was appointed Director General of the Conservative Party by Prime Minister John Major. He was elected member of four Worshipful Companies (Marketors, Educators, Clothworkers and Management Consultants) in the City of London. After he served as Master of the Guild of Marketors, he founded the Guild of Entrepreneurs. From 2006 he was elected Alderman for the Ward of Tower Hamlets London and in 2014 Sheriff to the Lord Mayor of London. For his contribution to the City, HM The Queen conferred upon him the Order of St. John.

However Sir Paul, Lady Anne Judge WG75, and Simon Sainsbury will be most remembered for their 1990 benefaction to Cambridge University to establish the Cambridge Judge Business School. Today the FT ranks CJBS 5th of the world’s top business schools, after Insead, Stanford, Wharton and Harvard. For his contribution to public and political service, HM The Queen conferred upon him a Knights Bachelor. Cambridge University awarded him an honorary Doctor of Laws. Sir Paul leaves behind a legacy in education, business and charity. Sir Paul was buried in the village churchyard of his son’s family home in Elmbridge, Worcestershire. A memorial dinner at Trinity College Cambridge and a memorial service in the City of London are planned to celebrate his life.


Peter Louis Pomeroy WG78 died on May 16, 2017 in Honolulu where he was living at the time. He was 63. Raised in Atherton, California, Peter received a B.A. from the University of California at Santa Barbara and an M.B.A. from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. He lived for many years in Half Moon Bay, California, and spent much of his career as a financial specialist and entrepreneur in Silicon Valley. Known for his intelligence, charm, and generosity, he brought joy and laughter to his family and many friends. Peter is survived by two daughters, Molly and Carly, both attending college; by a sister, Kit, of Seattle; and by three brothers: Leigh of Mankato, Minnesota, and Steve and Dave, both of Los Altos, California.


Tomas Michael Algeo W80 completed a Bachelor of Science (Economics) at the Wharton School, class of 1980. His Fraternity House was Theta Xi, and was located at 36th and Locust. Tom was born on 19 April, 1955 in Philadelphia and was most recently an academic at the University of Technology in Sydney, Australia, where he taught Masters and Bachelors subjects, including Management Consulting; Human Resources; and Business Strategy. Tom held senior international management positions with Campbell’s; Kellogg’s; Mercer; Navy Exchange; and the Esquel Group, and worked with the US Navy. Tom passed away on Friday 14th April, 2017, after a short battle with cancer, and is survived by his wife, Chivonne, children, and a granddaughter.

Spring/Summer 2017

John Morris WG51

On October 12, 2016, John Bendheim W40 passed away, peacefully, of natural causes. He was 98 years old and the younger of two sons born to Cora and Julius Bendheim in New York City on June 18, 1918. He was a loving father of his daughter Joanna Schulman and three sons: John Jr., Andrew, and Thomas Bendheim, along with 9 grandchildren. He was predeceased by his wife of 58 years, Maxine Asch Bendheim.

Mr. Bendheim attended Columbia Grammar School and received his high school diploma from Lawrenceville Academy. He graduated from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania in 1940. Wharton established the John M Bendheim Loan Forgiveness Fund for Public Service in 2005 as well as the Bendheim Fellow Social Impact fund in 2013; programs that ease financial challenges for Wharton MBA’s, encouraging and supporting them to work in non-profit or public sector careers.

His first and only job was with his family’s business, the M. Lowenstein Corporation, a Fortune 500 textile company. He became a Vice President and board member of the company and worked for 45 years in sales and marketing. He also served as Vice President of the Lowenstein Foundation, a philanthropic foundation based in New York City, since its creation in 1941. He had also been a prolific volunteer fundraiser for the United Way of Westchester, a vibrant supporter of White Plains Hospital, and a devoted member of the governing board (as well as a life Trustee) of the Northwell Health System (formerly Long Island Jewish Medical Center).

John loved to be active and enjoyed traveling and engaging in many outdoor activities, including tennis, paddle tennis, golf, water and snow skiing, boating and fishing. He had a heart of gold, a love for family, and a great outlook on life.


Edward Herman Dickol W47 of West Brandywine Edward Herman Dickol, 90, passed away peacefully on Saturday, December 24, 2016 at Freedom Village. He was the beloved husband of Dorothy Klotz Dickol, with whom he shared 64 years of marriage. Born in Philadelphia, he was the son of the late Carl Henry and Bertha Fischer Dickol. He graduated from Frankford High School in 1943, received his B.S. degree from the University of Pennsylvania – Wharton School in 1947 and earned his CPA in 1951. Over the years, Ed served in senior financial management roles at various companies in the Philadelphia area. His career culminated with 13 years at NorthWestern Public Service company in Huron, SD, where he served as Sr. Vice President of Finance and on the Board of Directors. Ed was a member of the Union League and other professional organizations. He loved to be on Wall Street and travel to New York City.

Following his retirement, Ed and Dorothy moved back to the Philadelphia area where Ed became active in community service. He volunteered with Meals on Wheels, the Chester County Community Foundation and many other service organizations. He was a member of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church. Ed and Dorothy loved spending time together and visiting their son in Austin, TX and their daughter in Rehoboth Beach, DE. He greatly enjoyed opera, Broadway shows, reading and tending his vegetable garden. In addition to his wife, Edward is survived by his children, Carol Dickol Revak and her husband Nick, and John Edward Dickol; three grandchildren and six great grandchildren. He was predeceased by his sister, Margaret Barth.


James Stofer W50

James “Jim” G. Stofer W50, 94, passed away on Saturday, August 27, 2016 surrounded by his family while listening to music. He was born on October 14, 1921 in Brooklyn where he grew up   in a large family. After he dropped out of Boy’s High School over a disagreement with a teacher, Jim decided to see the world and joined the U.S. Navy at the age of seventeen. It was in the Navy where he finished high school. Jim served on the cruiser USS Portland (Sweet Pea), one of the most decorated ships of World War II. He was a first class petty officer radioman. He also edited the ship’s newspaper and served as its historian. Although he was stationed in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii in 1941, the USS Portland was on maneuvers on December 7. It returned to port two days after the attack. Jim served in many major battles including Coral Sea, Midway, and Guadalcanal, and he received many military honors including a Purple Heart. While on leave during World War II, he married his good friend and wife of over 70 years, Marie Joan Curley who predeceases him. They had two children, Andrea and Eugene during the war.

After the war, he and his family moved to Plattsburgh where he attended what is now SUNY Plattsburgh; later, he graduated from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. Following graduation, he moved to New Jersey where he worked for Johnson and Johnson (Chicopee Division) until his retirement rising through the ranks to be a corporate officer.

A natural polyglot, Jim spoke (and sang in) fluent Spanish, French and Italian. He also developed a strong knowledge of German, Polish, Russian as well as Yiddish and Hebrew, all he improved while a teenager working for a family pharmacy in Brooklyn. His language abilities helped his performance of music and theater. Throughout his life, he and Marie were active in choirs and community-theater in New Jersey and New York. With little or no encouragement, he would routinely belt out a show tune and break into dance. Along with his love of theater, he maintained the curiosity of a child learning new skills including social media. He and Marie loved to travel, and they enjoyed the company of a large family and many friends.

After being snowbirds for many years, Jim and Marie moved to Pensacola in 2005 but always missed the seasons of New York. Ultimately, they settled in Azalea Trace where they made many friends from the local area.

Jim is survived by his daughter, Andrea Stofer Carey (Dan) of Pensacola and son, Eugene Stofer (Rosemary Martin) of Jacksonville; his grandchildren, Brian Carey (Sophelia Dale) of Pensacola, Elaine Carey (Javier Alvarez-Isasi) of New York City and Erin Carey (Richard Butler) of Seattle; his great grandchildren, Lucas, Xavier and Roardan; his dear friend, Evelyn Busch and many family and friends.


Longtime civic leader and banker John A. Morris WG51 passed away at his home on February 8, 2017, surrounded by his family. John was born to Mount Etna and Helen Adamson Morris on December 12, 1927 in Dadeville, Missouri. On March 10, 1951, he married Mary Patricia (Patty) Montgomery in Maryville, Missouri. They settled in Jefferson City, where they resided for the next 66 years.

John graduated from high school in Trenton, Missouri in 1945. He then enrolled at the University of Missouri, where he joined the Beta Theta Pi social fraternity. He graduated from M.U. in 1950 with a degree in Business and Public Administration. After graduation, John continued to support his alma mater and, in 1959, served as President of the University of Missouri National Alumni Association. While attending the University, John served his country as an enlisted officer in the U.S. Army. He was stationed in Fort Lawton, Washington and honorably discharged in 1948. After earning his undergraduate degree, John continued his education and received his M.B.A. from The University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Finance.

In 1951, John began his employment with the Central Missouri Trust Company (now Central Bank). He remained there until his retirement in 1988. During his tenure with Central Bank, John furthered his education by attending the A.B.A. Graduate School of Banking at Rutgers University and the School of Finance and Public Relations at Northwestern University. John was a senior vice-president at Central, serving as Director of Retail Banking and Director of Marketing. In 1983, he was appointed Chairman of the Missouri Bankers’ Association Marketing Committee.

John was always active in the Jefferson City community. He served as chairman of the Cole County Fair and president of the Jefferson City Jaycees, receiving the Jaycee’s Distinguished Service Award as the City’s Outstanding Young Man of 1956. He was a Mason (32nd degree), a member of Post #5 of the American Legion, and a member of the Jefferson City Lion’s Club. John was also active in the Jefferson City Chamber of Commerce, serving as its President in 1964 and, later, as the Director Chairman of the Chamber of Commerce Economic Development Council. He was on the first Jefferson City Charter Commission. He also served as president of the Memorial Community Hospital Board of Trustees. Additionally, he served on the YMCA Board of Directors, the Advisory Board for the Metro Business College, was a fundraising chairman for the United Way, and was a member of the Cole County Historical Society Board of Directors. From 1975-1987, John served on the Jefferson City Salvation Army Board of Directors, and was president for one of those years. In 1960, John was designated an Honorary Colonel by Governor John M. Dalton. He was a long-time member of the First Presbyterian Church, serving in several capacities, including that of ruling elder.

John also served our public schools. He served two terms on the Jefferson City Board of Education. During his service to the Board of Education, he was twice elected President. John also served as Co-Chairman of two Jefferson City School Bond Issues, in 1969 and 1979.

John enjoyed a long, rich and fulfilling life that centered around his family, always the most important thing in his life. Survivors include: Patty, his wife of sixty-six years; his children: Sarah Riddick and her husband John of Columbia, MO; David Morris and his wife Lea of Melbourne Beach, FL; Robert Morris and his wife Nancy of Portland, ME; Matthew Morris of Jefferson City, MO; and Jane Berry and her husband Michael of Jefferson City, MO. Other survivors include nine grandchildren: John Wright of Columbia, MO., Elizabeth Morris of San Diego, CA; Andrew Morris and his wife Tara of Newport, RI; Lindsay Riddick of Austin, TX; Jack Morris of Portland, Maine; Georgia Morris of Burlington, VT; Ben Morris of Springfield, MO; Josh Morris of Jefferson City, MO; Sam Schlueter of Jefferson City, MO; and two great-grandchildren, Ryan and Declan Morris of Newport, RI.

He was preceded in death by his parents, his sister and brother-in-law, June and Fred Croce, and one nephew, Peter Morris Croce.


William Ross Berglund

Bill Berglund WG55

Third generation Napa Valley native William Ross ‘Bill’ Berglund WG55 died peacefully at home on November 24, 2016, after a long struggle with Alzheimer’s disease. He was 86 years old.  Bill was born in Napa, California, to Roscoe Lester ‘Ross’ Berglund and Elaine Marie Young Berglund. He was born of Swedish immigrants on his father’s side and California pioneers on his mother’s side. Bill’s family has been in business in Napa for nearly 150 years, starting in the 1870s on Main Street in Napa, with a store that would become Young’s Hardware.

Bill is survived by two of his children, Lesley Page Berglund and Gregory Ross Berglund, by his daughter-in-law, Lisa Mangano Berglund, and by his granddaughters, Mina Mangano Berglund and Micaela Mangano Berglund. His sister, Lesley Elaine Berglund Fritz, and her sons, Stuart, Brooke, and Garrett Hanson and their families also survive him. Bill was preceded in death by his daughter, Gretta Elaine Berglund, and by his former wife Barbara Lamoreaux Berglund.

Growing up on a farm located on the corner of Pine and Seminary streets in what is now downtown Napa, Bill’s love for both the outdoors and business started early. He bought his first car with money earned by raising chickens and selling their eggs. He spent his high school years at Thacher School in Ojai, California, graduating in 1949 with a passion for camping and horseback riding. Bill then received his BA from Stanford University in 1953, and an MBA from Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania in 1955.

Immediately upon graduation from Wharton, Bill went to work in the family business, Berglund Tractor & Equipment, a company that was started in Napa in 1922 by his father, Ross Berglund. Upon the death of his father in 1956, Bill became president and led the company until it was sold in 1988. He then turned his focus to real estate, vineyards, and investing projects. Never one to retire, Bill considered his real job in later years to be “helping people” in ways both small and large, often without attribute.

For 45 years of his career, Bill was proud to be a member of Young Presidents Organization (YPO) and subsequently World Presidents Organization (WPO), where he served as the Northern California Chapter Chair for YPO in 1975 and for WPO in 1981. He traveled all over the world with YPO/WPO, and valued the intellectual stimulation and friendships he shared with fellow members and especially his forum. Bill also enjoyed decades of camaraderie at the San Francisco based Bohemian Club.

In his personal life, Bill loved outdoor adventures including gardening, camping, and traveling on trains with his children when they were young. When they were older, he frequently made time to take them backpacking, white water rafting, and sailing. He especially loved his many fly-fishing trips with his son, Greg. Bill also shared an interest in genealogy with his daughter, Lesley, through which he was able to meet five generations of his extended family during his later years.

Bill enjoyed a close connection to the community of Pope Valley, in the northeast corner of Napa County, where the family vineyards are located. Since he began visiting there as a boy with his grandfather Young, Bill loved the timelessness of Pope Valley, and found it to be a wonderful source of support, friendship, and refuge. For over 30 years, Bill proudly hosted the annual Pope Valley Turkey Shoot to raise money for the volunteer fire department. Throughout the years, he was honored to be included in many Pope Valley gatherings and festivities. His friends and neighbors there always made him feel right at home.


Thomas Cassidy WG56

Thomas L. Cassidy WG56, age 88, a resident of New Canaan, Vero Beach and Block Island, died Saturday, September 24, 2016 at Waveny Care Center. He was the husband of Marjorie Lawlor Cassidy. Tom was born in Waterbury, CT on June 17, 1928 and grew up in Watertown, CT. He was the son of the late John Hughes and Charlotte (Theve) Cassidy. Tom graduated from Taft School, Georgetown University, and earned an MBA at the Wharton School of Business. He was active in sports playing Varsity Hockey and Baseball at Taft and Georgetown. Tom and his 3 brothers led the Georgetown team to the AAU College Hockey final four tournament.

Mr. Cassidy and his family moved to New Canaan in 1960 and had many friends in town. He worked at the First Boston Corporation in New York for 25 years where he was Managing Director, Corporate Finance. He then worked at TCW Capital, an affiliate of Trust Company of the West where he was a Partner until he retired in 1999. Mr. Cassidy was on the Board of several companies including Congoleum Corp, Federal Paperboard, Spartec and Holnam Inc. Prior to his professional career, Tom served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Army during the Korean War where he was in active duty for 2 years and received several decorations including the Bronze Star.

He was as charitable and generous as he was hardworking; volunteering his talents to organizations such as Juvenile Corrections of Vero Beach FL, All Saints School in Norwalk and Waneny Care Center of New Canaan. Mr Cassidy enjoyed golf and relaxing at his lifetime retreat at Block Island with family and friends.

In addition to his wife Marjorie, Thomas will be deeply missed by his by three sons, Thomas L. Cassidy, Jr. (Moira) of New Canaan, William C. Cassidy (Elizabeth) of Darien and Peter L. Cassidy (Lisa) of Darien, two daughters, Anne Callahan (Christopher) of West Windsor, VT and Mary Finnegan (John) of Bedford, New York, a brother, Jerome Cassidy of San Antonio, Texas, two sisters, Jean Duffy of Marblehead, Massachusetts and Charlotte Chamberlin of Southbury, as well as fourteen grandchildren, Megan, Emily and Clare Finnegan; Charlotte, Lilly and Patrick Callahan; Tommy, James, Brian, Chris, Lillian, Arthur, Georgia and Sally Cassidy. Thomas was predeceased by two brothers, John and Patrick Cassidy.


Clifford J. Grum WG58, 82, a longtime citizen of Lufkin, Texas, was born December 12, 1934 in Davenport, Iowa to the late Nathalie (Cate) and Allen F. Grum. He grew up with his brother and sister in San Antonio, Texas, where his father was stationed with the U.S. Army. Mr. Grum passed away Monday, December 19, 2016 in Lufkin, while under the care of Hospice in the Pines.

Mr. Grum attended public schools in San Antonio. He earned his BA degree from Austin College in Sherman, Texas in 1956, and his MBA degree from Wharton School of Business, the University of Pennsylvania. He started his career as a loan officer at Republic Bank in Dallas before joining Temple Industries in Diboll, Texas until its merger with Time, Inc. in 1973. Mr. Grum served a decade in New York as First Treasurer of Time, Inc., publisher of Fortune Magazine, and Executive Vice President of Time, Inc. When Time, Inc., spun out of Temple Inland in 1983, with headquarters in Diboll, Mr. Grum served as President, CEO and Chairman until his retirement in 2000. Mr. Grum served as a board member and then Chairman of First Bank and Trust East Texas in Diboll until his death. He was a former member of national boards including Time, Inc., Tupperware Brands, Cooper Industries, Guaranty Federal, Premark International, and Trinity Industries.

In his free time while living in New York, Mr. Grum developed a passion for horse racing, which remained his hobby for the rest of his life. He also enjoyed the outdoors, hunting deer at Boggy Slough, and quail in Georgia. Mr. Grum was very involved in First Presbyterian Church in Lufkin, where he served as a deacon, and in other communities where he lived. He served as an Elder for the National Presbyterian Church. Mr. Grum lived his faith quietly and did much good in the world, establishing The Janelle Grum Family Crisis Center of East Texas and the Early Childhoold Learning Center at First Presbyterian Church in Lufkin. He was a longtime supporter of Camp Cho-yeh in Livingston, Texas.

Mr. Grum is survived by his beloved wife, Mary K. Grum; son, Christopher Grum of Sugar Land; brother, Brig. Gen. (U.S. Army, Ret.) Allen F. Grum, Jr.; sister, Nathalie “Sue” Redding; nieces and nephews, Allen “Pete” Grum, David Grum, Stacey Koff, Carrie Benton, and Pat Grum; stepchildren, Caroline Mitchell, Christopher Boone, and E. Ross Kyger IV; many great-nieces and great-nephews; and a host of friends.

He was preceded in death by his parents; and first wife, Janelle Grum.


Norman J. Singer W60, 78, died on October 31, 2016. He was Professor Emeritus of Law and Anthropology at the University of Alabama, and for 40 years held full tenured professorships in both departments, though he was proud that he never took salary or benefits from Arts and Sciences. Professor Singer had a wide-ranging international career as well. After graduating from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, he worked for a year in Stockholm. A trip through Russia and into Iran introduced him to the Middle East. He returned to the States, graduated summa cum laude from Boston University Law School, and in 1964 joined the Peace Corps with his wife, the former Bethany Wasserman. They spent four years in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia where Prof. Singer was a member of the first law faculty in Ethiopia and where two sons were born. Prof. Singer joined the University of Alabama Law School in 1971 and in 1975 received the SJD from Harvard, with an anthropological/legal dissertation on traditional legal systems in Ethiopia.

While teaching full time at UA, Prof. Singer also fitted in numerous projects in countries as diverse as Albania, Cambodia, Croatia, Egypt, Fiji, Iraq, Trinidad, and Zanzibar. He became known as a major expert in restructuring land tenure in countries with poorly-organized or non-existent private land systems. He also took leave from the University to spend 1980-82 as the Ford Foundation Res.Rep. in the Sudan.

Prof. Singer may be best known in the legal world as the author of a treatise, Sutherland, Statutory Construction. In recent years, he has shared authorship with his eldest son, Shambie J.D. Singer.
He was born in Boston to the late Morris and Anna C. Singer. His first marriage ended in divorce. He is survived by his wife, Anna Jacobs Singer, sons Shambie, Jeremy (Nicole) and Micah (Ali), stepdaughters Joanna Jacobs and Stephanie Jacobs, special children Ejvis Lamani, and Anil and Aron Mujumdar, grandchildren Sofia, Avery, and Zeke Singer, and sister Helen Silverstein.


Christopher Call Bonwit WG76, 69, departed this life peacefully on January 2, 2017 surrounded by his family at his home in Dunwoody, Georgia. He is survived by his loving wife of 44 years Gracemarie (Gem) and their sons Holden with wife Meagan, and Neville with wife Erin and children Katherine, Lindsay, Natalie, Kolby and Caedmon. He is also survived by his sister Elise Bonwit Dickinson with husband D. Edward and daughters Monica and Cara, and his brother Jonathan with wife Norah and sons Erik and Cameron.

Chris was born on October 16, 1947 in Hackensack, New Jersey, son of Charlotte and John Bonwit, Jr. For high school, he attended Williston Academy in Massachusetts, after which he was awarded a fellowship from the English-speaking Union to attend Brighton College in England for a post high school year of study. Following that, he attended the University of Notre Dame, courtesy of a scholarship from the US Navy ROTC program. During one of his memorable summer Navy deployments, Chris was attached to a German Navy fast patrol boat operating in the Baltic Sea; it was on that deployment that he began his appreciation of the German language, his favorite of the 6 languages that Chris spoke fluently. He graduated cum laude from the University of Notre Dame in 1970 and then served four years in the U.S. Navy in the Mediterranean Sea and the Pacific Ocean on a variety of ships and missions, ultimately becoming Chief Engineer on the destroyer escort U.S.S. Badger.

In August of 1972, after a brief courtship, Chris joyously married Gem, who shared his passion for adventurous living.

Chris received his MBA from Wharton Business School and thereafter entered the engineering construction field with Dravo Corporation. From Pittsburgh, PA, he routinely traveled to Central and South America as a master negotiator for the company. During his time with Dravo, he lived in Mexico and Italy, often traveling to Eastern Europe and Africa for weeks at a time. The 3-year Italian experience was simply magical for the Bonwit family. Switching careers, he joined Raychem Corporation and spent the next decade selling the telecommunications company’s breakthrough wire splicing and connector products. He greatly enjoyed the combination of outdoor work and traveling to various US and foreign locations. Of his many assignments with Raychem, his time in Australia, New Zealand, and South Korea were the most memorable.

Chris worked briefly with two other telecommunications companies, Dura-Line and Thomas & Betts, before ultimately landing his dream position as a Regional Director with the University of Notre Dame. Gem was especially pleased about this career switch as Chris was finally finished with international travel and was able to spend more time at home. Chris strongly believed in the mission of the University of Notre Dame and enjoyed doing his part to strengthen the many endeavors essential to the success of the University and its students. The close friendships that he formed with colleagues and benefactors of the University provided him with immeasurable joy.

He will be dearly missed by his devoted family, friends and colleagues.


Caren Franzini C80 WG84

Former CEO of N.J. Economic Development Authority Caren Franzini C80 WG84, 57, who served as chief executive officer of the New Jersey Economic Development Authority (NJEDA) for over 18 years, died Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2017, at her home in Lambertville, N. J. Ms. Franzini headed the NJEDA from January 1994 to October 2012, working with seven consecutive New Jersey governors. The NJEDA provides financing to small and mid-sized businesses, administering tax incentives to retain and grow jobs, revitalizing communities through redevelopment initiatives, and supporting entrepreneurial development. She joined the NJEDA in March 1991, as deputy director. After her tenure at the NJEDA, Ms. Franzini became president of Franzini Consulting, working with businesses and economic development agencies. Prior to joining the EDA, Ms. Franzini was an assistant state treasurer with the N.J. Department of the Treasury. Before that, she was employed in the finance division of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and with Public Financial Management.

Caren Sue Raphel was born Feb. 17, 1959, in Atlantic City, N.J. Her parents, Ruth and Murray Raphel, were the owners with her aunt and uncle, Shirley and Milton Gordon, of Gordon’s Alley, New Jersey’s first pedestrian mall, located in downtown Atlantic City. Ms. Franzini received a bachelor of arts degree in urban studies from the University of Pennsylvania and a master of business administration degree in finance and public management from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

Ms. Franzini is survived by her husband, John Franzini; three children, Anna, Sam, and Sarah; her parents; sister, Paula Crowley, and brother, Neil Raphel.

Fall/Winter 2016

Douglas R. Price W51, a businessman, inventor, historian and writer who had been an aide to President Dwight D. Eisenhower, died on his 87th birthday of complications from Parkinson’s disease at the Blakehurst Retirement Community in Towson. The son of W. James Price III, a partner at Alex. Brown & Sons, and Frances Robbins Price, a homemaker, Douglas Robbins Price was born and raised in Ruxton. After graduating from the Gilman School in 1947, he earned a bachelor’s degree in 1951 in economics from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

In 1951, he joined the Eisenhower for President campaign and was press assistant to the future president at the 1952 Republican Convention in Chicago. As a member of Mr. Eisenhower’s personal campaign staff, Mr. Price traveled aboard the campaign train as it crisscrossed the country. He enjoyed telling friends: “When I first met Eisenhower, he was a retired Army officer. When I finished my mission, he was president of the United States. That’s the kind of work I do.” In a 2006 article in The Baltimore Sun about presidential swearing, Mr. Price recalled that Mr. Eisenhower “cursed privately on occasion, but only in light blue, not dark four-letter words.” “Anyone who made the mistake of using scatological or vulgar language in Ike’s presence regretted it, as did any one of his friends who made the mistake of telling an off-color story. Eisenhower had too much respect for the presidency,” Mr. Price said. He recalled what it was like when someone annoyed President Eisenhower, earning a dose of presidential enmity. Mr. Price said he once tarried to get a last-minute shot of the presidential plane with his new movie camera—and was the last person to board as the door was shut. The president greeted him “with the nonverbal presidential stare that was coolly delivered and burned like a blowtorch.” “I didn’t ever do that again,” said Mr. Price. “He didn’t have to say anything. He could reprimand you severely with those cold blue steel eyes of his. They could penetrate right through you.” After working at the Republican National Committee, the International Cooperation Administration and the U.S. Commission on Government Security, Mr. Price was named a special assistant to the president and joined the White House staff in 1957. After President Eisenhower left office in 1961, Mr. Price co-founded Atlantic Development Co., an international marketing and sales firm, which recently closed. In addition to his own business career, Mr. Price served as chairman of the board of the Baltimore-based Vanns Spices Ltd.

A longtime resident of Rock Hall and Chestertown, Mr. Price was a familiar sight on the Chesapeake Bay and the Intracoastal Waterway as he sailed his twin-diesel-powered cabin cruiser, the Francina, between Maryland, the Florida Keys and the Bahamas. Mr. Price was a member of the Corsica River Yacht Club and the Magothy River Sailing Association. He also held two patents on maritime safety and navigation devices. “He had invented a channel finder that measured the water and depth on both sides of a channel, which aided a mariner to safely stay in deep water,” said a nephew, Jonathan Price of Cockeysville. In 1977, Mr. Price filed suit against the state Department of Natural Resources, seeking an injunction forbidding state officials and Gov. Marvin Mandel to use the Prowler, an unmarked Marine Police patrol boat, for “personal pleasure.” The suit ended in a consent decree that ended the use of the Prowler for the entertainment and pleasure of state officials. “The injunction set a powerful precedent in Maryland, showing that a taxpayer can stop officials from diverting public funds to their own personal use,” Mr. Price said at the time.

He served as a member of the editorial advisory board of the Dwight David Eisenhower Papers at the Johns Hopkins University, and was on the board of the Eisenhower Institute and the Eisenhower Foundation. Mr. Price’s favorite hobby was collecting and writing about presidential and White House trivia and stories. In an unpublished monograph about then-General Eisenhower’s supposed wartime affair with Kay Summersby, an English woman who was his driver, Mr. Price relied on the recollections of Sgt. Mickey McKeough, who was the general’s orderly. “That stuff about an affair with Kay is sheer nonsense,” he said Sergeant McKeough told him. “I put the boss to bed every night, and there was no one else in the bed. In the mornings when I would wake him up, there was no one else in the bed, except the one time I found Telek, his black Scotty, on his pillow.” Mr. Price told The Sun it was time for educators, journalists, biographers and historians to put that “baseless old rumor to rest.”

Since 2015, Mr. Price had lived at the Towson retirement community. He was a member of the Elkridge Club and the Metropolitan Club of Washington. A memorial service was held in the chapel of the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, 5603 N. Charles St. In addition to his nephew, Mr. Price is survived by a brother, W. James Price IV of Towson; a sister, Dorsey Price Salerno of Maplewood, NJ; and several other nieces and nephews.


Bruce Samuel Davidson W52 passed away peacefully on April 1, 2016, in NYC with his beloved children, grandchildren and dear friend Sharon by his side. Bruce was born on July 28, 1931, in Norwalk, CT. Bruce was the only child of Pearle Davidson (nee Rosenthal) and Dr. Emanuel Davidson. Throughout his life, Bruce was passionate about social justice and dedicated to the less fortunate. Bruce graduated from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. He then enlisted in the United States Army. He served in Korea shortly before the end of the conflict. He was honorably discharged after returning the U.S. and completed a Master of Science from the University of Bridgeport. He met Doris Lindner and they were married in 1956. The couple moved to the Riverdale section of the Bronx, NY, in 1966 where he resided until his passing. Dory Davidson (nee Lindner) passed away in 1989. Bruce was a beloved history teacher in Norwalk, at George Washington High School in Manhattan and then at John F. Kennedy High School in the Bronx for many years. He retired in the 1987 to pursue his hobbies. Those hobbies were, and in time grew to include: traveling, playing and teaching bridge, spoiling his children and grandchildren and collecting stamps, coins and first day covers. Somewhere, Bruce is still actively rooting for the Chicago Cubs to win the World Series – as he did throughout his life. He is survived by his son, Douglas (Plainview, NY,) daughter and son-in-law Julie Davidson Meyers and Jonathan Meyers (Lawrenceville, NJ,) and four wonderful grandchildren. Grandsons: Daniel and Adam Davidson and granddaughters: Dylan and Aliya Meyers. The family wishes acknowledge the love and assistance of Sharon Bailey who helped Bruce through the last eight years of his life and was unbelievably supportive to Bruce and his kids during the later years of his life. While Bruce may be gone, his generous heart and love for his grandchildren lives on. Memorial donations may be directed to a legacy fund Bruce established that allows his grandchildren to make a philanthropic gift to charity every year on their birthday.


John F. R. Smilgin III W53, a retired senior executive at the New York Life Insurance Company, passed away peacefully in his sleep on Tuesday, June 7, at his home in Manhattan. He is survived by his two sons, John Smilgin of Seattle, Caleb Smilgin of Manhattan, his former spouse, Carol Hill Smilgin of Osterville, MA, and his sister, Lorraine Spadaro of Syracuse, NY. John was born on March 8, 1926, in Syracuse, the son of John and Frances Smilgin. He enlisted in the United States Navy in 1944, at age 17 and was honorably discharged in 1946. He attended the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, graduating with the class of 1953. At Penn John was a member of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity and the Mask and Wig club. He attended the Law School at New York University, graduating in 1959 with a Juris Doctor degree. John was admitted to the New York Bar, First Judicial District in 1959. John married Margaret Carol Hill on June 1, 1957, at St. Theresa’s Church in Summit, NJ. They had two children, John F. R Smilgin IV and Caleb Hill Smilgin. John was first employed by the New York Life Insurance Company on March 9, 1953, where he spent his entire professional career, retiring as a corporate vice president on November 30, 1987. He was a member of the University Club for over 40 years, joining the U.C. in 1975. John joined the Penn Club of New York as a charter member in 1996, and he spent many happy summers as a member of the Lawrence Beach Club on Long Island. His long association with the Church of St. Thomas More in Manhattan began in 1970. He became head usher in 1985; a position he held until his death. A Memorial Mass for John was held on Saturday, Oct. 15, at St. Thomas More.


Thomas Edward Madden WG58, of Saratoga, CA, died at home, surrounded by family, on Dec. 16, 2015. The cause was congestive heart failure. He is survived by his loving wife of 40 years, Dorothy Madden, eight children and stepchildren, 18 grandchildren, and four great grandchildren. Tom was born on April 9, 1932, to Florence (Dampman) Madden and Lee Madden, in Freeport, IL. He received a Bachelor of Science in General Engineering from the University of Illinois (Urbana, IL) in 1954. Tom served in the U.S. Navy from July, 1954, until June, 1956, where he held the rank of lieutenant. After completing his service, he received an MBA from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania.

In 1958 Tom married his first wife, Julia Powers, with whom he had four children: Thomas Madden (Maureen), Geri Derendinger (Denis), Stephen Madden (Inés) and Daniel Madden (Rosann). He started his career in New Jersey at Procter & Gamble, and later worked at a number of firms in the Santa Clara Valley, such as VSL Corporation in Los Gatos, CA, and CXR Telecom in Fremont, CA. He also had his own company for a short time in the late 1960’s. Tom retired in 1999. In 1975 Tom married Dorothy Ester, and with her gained four stepchildren: Laurel Glaros (Stephen), Gregory Ester (Marion), Jennifer Waddell (Scott) and Jeffrey Ester (Carol). Tom enjoyed family gatherings, fine dining, attending the theater and the symphony — which he often shared with his children and grandchildren — and most of all world travel. He was a natural born globetrotter. In college, he drove with friends from Illinois to the (then) Territory of Alaska. Upon his return, he regaled the local Freeport Kiwanis Club with slides from his trip. Serving in the U.S. Navy offered Tom an opportunity to see the rest of the world for the very first time, and he quickly caught the travel bug. His children fondly remember being packed into a station wagon for trips to national parks, dude ranches, Disneyland (many times), as well as Lake Tahoe for skiing. In retirement, Tom and Dorothy traveled the world, including tours to Russia, The Great Pyramids, New Zealand, Europe, China and Indonesia. Tom will always be remembered as a loving husband, caring father, skilled handyman, and avid traveler. He will be greatly missed.


David R. Willour WG64, was born in Wooster, OH, on Feb. 28, 1939, and died on Feb. 27, 2016, at the Worcestershire Royal Hospital, England. He is survived by his sister, Myra Novak; by Judy Willour, his wife of over 40 years; by his two sons, Geoffrey and Douglas; and by his grandchildren, Isaac Willour (son of Geoffrey and his wife, Sharon), and Ryan and Colin Willour (sons of Douglas Willour). He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Political Science from the College of Wooster in Wooster, OH, and his MBA degree in Banking and Finance from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. In his professional life he was a seasoned and successful financial executive, holding high positions in a number of banking institutions, including Mellon Bank, Bank of New England, Chase Manhattan Bank and Advest Bank. A lifelong anglophile, he spent his later retirement years as a permanent resident in England. A funeral service was held in his honor on March 16, 2016, at the St. Leonard’s Parish Church in Bretforton, England, where his ashes were interred in the churchyard.


Loren Glenn Smith WG65 of Madison, CT, died on July 2, 2015. Born May 1, 1941, to Ruth Hadley and Glenn W. Smith, in Minneola, NY, he was raised in Madison, NJ. Loren graduated from Wesleyan University in 1963 and was a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity. He earned an MBA from Wharton Business School at the University of Pennsylvania in 1965 and was an active member in the Philadelphia First City Troop National Guard from 1966-1970. Loren had an extensive career as a marketing executive at J.C. Penney in Dallas; Great Oak Financial Services, Longmeadow, MA, Citicorp, NYC, and as an independent consultant. He went on to passionately share his marketing expertise in the classroom as a visiting and adjunct professor at Fairfield University and University of Liverpool. Loren enjoyed playing the guitar, volunteering as an historical interpreter (Blacksmith) in Old City Park, Dallas, playing tennis & paddle, and spending time with his family. In 2004 he published “Flame of Love,” the culmination of years of work to create the most accurate translation of poetry by the Spanish Mystics St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross, paying special attention to the rhythmic and metric integrity of the poems. Loren continued to revise this and write other unpublished works. Loren leaves behind his devoted wife of 51 years, Joan, and his brother Ronald; Loren’s son, Christopher, his wife Marianne, and their daughters Ella, Annabelle and Lila; and Loren’s daughter, Polly Smith Bauer, her husband, Chris and their daughters, Caroline, Elizabeth and Alexandra. A funeral service was held at Saint Andrews Church, Madison. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Madison Emergency Medical Services or The Madison Historical Society. To sign the online guestbook, please visit hawleylincolnmemorial.com.


James David Dougherty WG65, of Hamden, CT, Marblehead, MA, Larchmont, NY, and Brunswick, ME, died of complications from pneumonia on Jan. 26, 2016, in his final home in Portland, OR. Jim was the first member of his family to graduate from college, Colgate University in Hamilton, NY, in 1961. He went on to graduate school, earning a Master of Business Administration from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School in 1965. Following service with the U.S. Army and 10 years in sales and marketing jobs with Procter & Gamble and Gillette, Jim entered a long career as a securities analyst for a number of Wall Street banks. In his spare time, he was an accomplished amateur ice hockey referee, working in leagues surrounding Westchester County, NY, from the 1970s through the 1990s, retiring as the oldest official in the system. Despite a career that placed him in boardrooms around the world, he was always the kid from Hamden. Jim’s friends came from all walks of life. He was fiercely loyal, especially to the Hamden High crew, the Colgate Dekes and the gang from his beloved Marblehead, MA that he left in person in 1973 but never in his heart. After retiring in 2002, he explored his passion for Irish history and culture by earning a master’s degree in Irish history from Manhattanville College. In 2004, he and his wife, Julie, bought and renovated an historic house in Brunswick, ME, where he had many opportunities to learn about Brunswick’s civil war hero Joshua Chamberlain and the civil war while enjoying all that Maine has to offer. A lifelong hockey fan, he passionately followed his alma mater, Colgate University, as well as the Boston Bruins, reveling in their championship seasons in the early 1970s as well as their return to the top in 2011. He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Julia Hillman Dougherty, son Sean Dougherty (Julie Atinaja), daughter Molly Dougherty (Cliff Alton), brother Bill Dougherty (Kristi Muro-Dougherty), nephew Mateo Muro-Dougherty, and his adored grandchildren, Erin and Connor Alton Dougherty. His love for his family knew no bounds. Jim was a deeply committed husband, parent, grandparent and friend. He will be missed.