The Penn Club of New York, which has served as a home away from campus for Penn and Wharton alumni for the past two decades, has been named a New York City landmark by the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission.
The formal designation was announced in February.
The original 11-story building, located on West 44th Street between 5th and 6th avenues, was one of the first high-rises in the city and was initially built, in 1900, as the Yale Club. That club occupied the building until 1915.
Later tenants included the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, the Army & Navy Club of America, the U.S. Army Organized Reserve Corps and Touro College.
It was purchased by Penn in 1989 and has been home to the Penn Club since 1994. The club offers dining rooms, a fitness center, meeting space, 39 overnight guest rooms, a library and more.